Saturday, December 31, 2011

A New Year - A New Daily Project

My first daily project was with my first baby in 2000. With a polaroid, I took a picture a day of her as a fun way to document her quick growth and made a few collage postcards afterwards to share with friends and family.

My second daily project was with baby number two in 2006. That time, I used a digital camera instead of an instant polaroid and it was as fun as the first time, if not harder to remember to do as kid number two makes a parent exponentially busier.

This past year, 2011, I resolved to write a haiku a day. The goal was 365 and I wrote 311. Not bad, I think. Let's face it - a working mother of two who tries to have a life beyond work and family doesn't exactly have "free time". So I'm compelled to carve out creative space where and when I can with the swiftness that snapping a photo or jotting down seventeen syllables provides.

For 2012, I will srtive again for a haiku a day, but this time plan to use a daily prompt from Noah Scalin's 365: A Daily Creativity Journal. (Thanks, mom!) I wonder how they will compare to 2011's haikus, a "reflection collection" that reads like a daily journal capturing my family life, political opinion, pop culture commentary, mundane observations, work-related ramblings, and personal inspirations. And to further the different direction, I'm going to blog the daily haikus here. As a result, I imagine this year's will be less personal than 2011's...and more of a challenge as my commitment will require me to engage daily with technology, not exactly my strong suit.

So, stay tuned! Tomorrow comes daily2012haiku #1. The prompt? I'll have to write about something that fits in the palm of my hand, observing only the materials in my immediate environment. I'll be exploring Carlsbad Caverns tomorrow, so I hope being underground while feeling like I'm on a different planet will provide the inspiration I'll need to kick this year off right :)

Happy New Year!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment